Update – If you are looking for what to watch this weekend, some of these movies are now available on various streaming platforms (Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO etc.). Look through to see my thoughts and it may be a helpful guide on what to watch!
It’s the time again. The last hurrah for award season, the most prestigious, grand ol’ boring Oscars. As I do every year because I love y’all. Here is a list of movies you should watch before the award ceremony that will have you prepared and have some idea of what is going on.
I think it was a good year for movies. It’s hard to blow me away these days but there were a number of movies I liked enough. I was on track on seeing all the movies required seeing as once Venice Film Festival hits you kind of have an idea of what the nominations will be, but life happened and I fell way, way behind and I am hoping I am able to catch up before hand.
I’ll be updating the movies as I catch up, so feel free to check back in for the updates. Here are the movies with a little blurb of what I thought:
- BlaKkKlansman – I was really hesistant to watch this because Spike Lee (he is just not for me) but it was not bad at all. Still peeved that Adam Driver is who got a nomination and not John David Washington
- Black Panther – Who woulda thought, eh? A superhero movie with an all black cast got a best picture nom. Still think if BP got a nom, Avengers should be here too but you know what? I take all wins when black people are involved. You can see my thoughts on the movie here.
- Bohemian Rhapsody – Fun watch. Watch for the entertainment not for facts even if it calls itself a biopic. Most of it is not factual. Rami Malek was amazing. See what I thought about it here.
- The Favourite – Fun comedy. Olivia Colman did her thing. Has a little bit of everything.
- Green Book – I know there was a lot of controversy with this movie but I didn’t expect to like this as much as I did. Mahershala and Viggo really did their thing in this.
- Roma – Cinematography is amazing on this. Be warned that it is in black and white. It’s available to watch on Netflix. My thoughts on it here
- A Star is Born – Really liked this one. Everyone put their foot in it. Soundtrack also, amazing. Thoughts on it here
- Vice – I wasn’t sure what to expect but I don’t think it was sort of a satire but I liked it all in all. Thoughts on it here
- The Wife – A slow burn but good none the less. A movie about a woman living most of her life in the shadow of her husband.
- Can You Ever Forgive Me? – I just didn’t feel anything for this movie.
- If Beale Street Could Talk – I can’t speak enough good things about this movie. It was amazing and it is a travesty it was not nominated for best picture, best director or best cinematography. loved. My thoughts on it here
- At Eternity’s Gate – haven’t seen
- Cold War – haven’t seen
- RBG – The little woman that could. I enjoyed getting to know who RBG is. This is available on CNN ondemand.
- Free Solo – Have not seen
- Shoplifters – haven’t seen but heard amazing things
- Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse: This was really enjoyable.
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs – Haven’t seen and probably won’t but available on Netflix.
- Avengers: Infinity War: (nominated for visual effects). My thoughts here and available on Netflix.
- A Quiet Place: I thought this was overhyped
- Mary Poppins Returns: Haven’t seen
- Incredibles 2 – Haven’t seen but available on Netflix
- Never Look Away – Haven’t seen
- First Reformed – Haven’t seen
- First Man – Haven’t seen
So I am 15/25 this year. What’s your number?